Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hey look at me, I'm a Magnolia Warbler and you're not.


I was in the Nashville area the last week and while walking around my parent's lake stumbled on a mixed warbler flock. It's been a little while since I've geeked out on birds, so I did a little of that. There were seven different species in the tiny woodlot - Pine, Magnolia, Tennessee, Black-throated Green, Nashville, Northern Parula, and Yellow-rumped.
I managed to snag some pretty good shots but got a little perturbed when the battery died...meh. The flock seemed to be a decent size and I was surrounded by warblers for a while. They were at eye level and only a few feet away a lot of time, but behind really brushy stuff and crazy hyperactive. There were some bugs that just seemed to have hatched and the birds were going to town, snarfing them up.
So here's some Magnolia photos (couple different birds I think) who were strutting their stuff in between intaking hoards of buggers. (you can see the bugs stuck on the bill in that second photo). Below was the spot this one kept going back to - lots of bugs in that spot). Here's a link to another post about Magnolia Warblers - got pictures of the 3rd country record for one in Trinidad and Tobago a couple years ago. Sweeeeeet. Nature Notes

27 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Lovely little bird, think how many bugs it can take to fill up.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful series of shots! Your posts below are awesome as well!

Andrew said...

A beautiful little bird to see... thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

Outstanding photos of the tough to capture beauties. You were in Warbler Heaven!

Gary said...

Great close ups of birds that flit around making it hard to photograph. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

ChrisJ said...

How wonderful to be surrounded by all those warblers. I don't think we get that many round here. Wonderful photographs!

Arija said...

Great to be in the midst of a feeding frenzy. They don't bother about the photographer as much. Such bright and cheerful little guys.
Jill, I always carry a spare battery, I've been caught out like that as well.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful warbler and your photos are gorgeous.

EG Wow said...

Such a pretty warbler! Wonderful photos.

ladyfi said...

What utterly charming and lovely shots!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I am always impressed with the quality in your photos. Very nice.

Jedediah said...

I love the bright yellow of his breast, beautiful little bird.

biobabbler said...

Delightful. And nice job on the array of warblers identification--I'm impressed!

NatureFootstep said...

lol, that bird really looks proud. :) Great shots.

veredit said...

What a cute guy!! and these are awesome pictures (as always !!)

wish you a very nice autumn. with warm hugs,

isabella

Mary Howell Cromer said...

TN right next to KY, and I have never seen, or heard of a Magnolia Warbler, what great images of this sweet looking bird! Great find~

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a pretty bird, so brightly coloured!

Rambling Woods said...

Hi Jill...nice to see you in Nature Notes...This is such a beautiful little birds...sorry about your battery. Mine always dies when I am out in the woods or somehow away from the house...Michelle

Tina´s PicStory said...

how lovely :)

John S. Mead said...

Almost makes me wanna be a Magnolia Warbler! ;)

Valerie said...

An endearing collection of shots of a very pretty species. Thanks for sharing.

Seeing Each Day said...

Fantastic captures - really love your third one. Beautiful coloured feathers - the yellow is so striking.

Joyful said...

A wonderful find and you've got some lovely photos of a beautiful bird.

mick said...

That's a really beautiful bright little bird.

Saun said...

What a pretty bird. Great series

MarieClara said...

That little birdie is so cute! :)

Visiting from MYM.
Scissor Me

Kim, USA said...

Oh my gush this is very pretty!

Farmers Market Galore