Sunday, February 12, 2012

Those guys from the coast

(Above: Seaside Sparrow)
I've still got some stragglers from recent trips to Anahuac NWR. And whywhywhy do I not have anything clever to say anymore? Maybe one day I'll be back to the old Johnny Nutcase. So, that Seaside Sparrow, as mentioned in another post, was a bit of a weirdo. He and a bud were all hanging out on the rocks like they actually wanted their photos taken. Seasides don't do that, who do they think they are!?
(Above: Fulvous and then some Black-bellied Whistling Ducks- NO! They aren't Fulvous, they are immature Black-bellied, lies, all lies!)
And for some reason, I was actually able to get photos of Black-bellied and Fulvous Whistling ducks (lies, they are immature Black-bellied), which is also weird. Because I seem to have pretty horrible luck with duck photos for whatever reason. The rail was pretty fancy. I was able to stare him down for about ten minutes (why don't I have more photos?) while he snarfed up some tasty treats. There was a Great Egret and a Tri-colored hanging out in the same area, with some terns in and out also. Good fishing spot I presume. Oh yeah, I had a hard time identifying this guy and so I've been told it's a Clapper/King hybrid. Or as some nerds refer to it: Cling Rails. I'm not that level of dork, so I will not fondly refer to said rail as a Cling, I just can't do it. World Bird Wednesday Nature Notes
And then there's the sanderlings (always cute), Ruddy Turnstone, and Savannah Sparrow below.

21 comments:

Seagull Steve said...

No offense but those Fulvous Whistling-Ducks are actually immature Black-bellieds. Sorry. Good good shots though!

Yeah, "Cling" sounds gross. Who says that???

eileeninmd said...

Love the whistling ducks, great birds and wonderful photos.

Johnny Nutcase said...

No! lies! Steve, lies! i feel like such a pansy. Shut up! (actually, don't thanks...various people lead me astray on that one, i am shocked. what is the world coming to?)

Seagull Steve said...

Come to #7 next time!

ksdoolittle said...

I'm always so envious of you photos!! Love your fulv....black bellied whistling duck pictures, but am most impressed with the rail. They can be so elusive. I've never seen one..well, once I think I saw one darting into the grasses. Doesn't really count. ~karen

Out on the prairie said...

Really nice selection today

Crafty Gardener said...

nice set of birding photos today

Martha Z said...

Great shots as always, Jill. Texas does have some great birding but I can't quite get myself to go there.

Gary said...

Great sequence, Jill. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Andrew Fulton said...

Wonderful images Jill.

mick said...

All great photos but the Sanderlings and the Ruddy Turnstone are my favorites.

Carole M. said...

enjoyed seeing the birds from your side of the world too

holdingmoments said...

Great series Jill.

Springman said...

I am fascinated with your sliding scale as pertains to dorkiness. Does ones nerdiness fluctuate haphazardly like the weather or is it fairly stable? Worse case scenario; we are plunging headlong down a slippery slope leading to a stagnant pool of arcane googley factoids. If this is the case I am predestined to a life of obscurity and irrelevance. The potential Duke of Dorkdom.
I suppose I could live with that!

Johnny Nutcase said...

Ha! I've got dork written all over me, Springman. But when it comes to bird stuff, I try to hold back just a bit. Cling?? Some of this hardcore birdy stuff freaks me out!

joo said...

All of them are lovely:)

Mary Howell Cromer said...

What a wonderful set of bird images Jill...they are all great!

NatureFootstep said...

I love that Rail. Tehy are cool birds. :)

Pat said...

I love the little Seaside Sparrow!

Leora said...

Love that duck collection. You have captured such a variety of birds - hm, cling rails.

Rambling Woods said...

Hello!!!!! Happy to see you and I think you can rest assured that you haven't lost any of the 'clever' in your post..I should be that quick, but then I can default to snarky if I can't think fast enough. I love waterfowl and shore birds of all kinds and you really take such wonderful photos...Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes..Michelle