Monday, April 30, 2012

Is it a monster?

It is not. It's a Giant Lichen Orbweaver (Araneus bicentenarius) These guys have starting coming out to play. They always start making appearances around this time of year and terrify me at least 5-7 times a day when I come within inches of walking into their monster webs. I still don't know how birds don't just get stuck in those things. I don't know how I don't get stuck in those things. I mean, they're like 8 feet across sometimes,  3 feet wide. (I'm not exaggerating!).

I've been working in Texas since 2007 and have never gotten any good photos of these spiders. What? Unacceptable! So I decided to change that. I actually took them with my 500 mm since I was taking bird photos at the time but yeah, well, these things are just that big so it seemed to get the job done fairly well.

As freaky as they are, and as huge as they are - I should have taken a reference photo- they're kind of awesome too. That's all you get for now. I've got more photos of 'em I'll put up eventually. Nature Notes

11 comments:

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I really enjoy viewing Orbweavers, they are fascinating spiders and your images show their beauty~

biobabbler said...

Last time I went to Joshua Tree I saw all kinds of amazing things (of course), but I STILL remember the GIGANTIC spider I saw, much like yours in that it had a HUGE abdomen (should probably say "she").

LOVE the jumbo spiders. =)

Janie said...

Spiders are fascinating critters. Great photos of this one.

Al said...

I love them - spiders are great for the environment!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Can't say I've ever seen these... great name, though. They do look like lichen.

soho stitch said...

Great pics of the spider and would love to see what a web looks like - hard to imagine up to 8ft across.

jewaicious said...

Great shots, each one so awesome.

Rambling Woods said...

Really..that big a web? OK, I have worked really hard to get over my spider phobia..but walking into that web might set me back..OK, it would throw me back. Great macro detail... Thanks for linking up..It is always great to visit you Jill....Michelle

Dianne said...

these shots are fantastic!!
I adore spiders and these guys are rocl stars to me :)

Dominic Gendron said...

Cool spider and very nice pictures ;)

Anonymous said...

Great info. Lucky me I recently found your site by accident (stumbleupon).
I've saved as a favorite for later!
my page: sterilize baby bottles