Friday, April 13, 2012

Snakes I almost stepped on

(Above: Texas rat snake, flathead snake, copperhead, rat snake). Spied all these guys in the field. Only the Copperhead is venomous, so no big deal. Still no rattlesnakes yet, but I've seen quite a few fatty Texas rat snakes and garters. The itty bitty one is a flathead snake I found under a rock. (When no birds are singing, time passes more quickly when you flip over all the good looking rocks. Tons of scorpions and tarantulas on our field sites!)
(Above: Coppehread, Rat snake) So yup, I love snakes. All the photos are taken with my crappy old point click (not really wise to bring the big boy out in the field) so the quality is pretty lame, but the snakes! The snakes are awesome! The latest guy let me get all up in his face, what a gentleman. (Below: Rat snake, Texas Garter, Rat snake

12 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, gosh - I have a fascination/phobia about snakes. I think you're brave - glad you can identify them!

Al said...

Snakes are awesome, and that last shot is perfect. I'm hesitant to pick them up as I can't identify them.

Cheryl Ann said...

Well, I'm getting to know snakes, too, as 3 of them have come out of the tack room! And, I seem to find them by the roads! Now I look at their head...if it is triangular, I back up!

KT said...

Eik! I would have ran the other direction...not taken out my camera. Why is it that so many of us have a snake phobia?

ChrisJ said...

The rattle snakes are coming out right now in our area. There have been quite a few bites too. Our neighbor had a baby one in his kitchen and one on the TV news was bitten by a baby one in his kitchen too. Wonder what makes them get into kitchens.

Gaelyn said...

I won't handle them, but sure like to look and take photos.

Janie said...

I like snakes, but I'd rather avoid the poisonous ones. Sure wouldn't want to mess with the copperhead.
Nice photos. You obviously have no fear of them.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Snakes are cool, ever so useful and I enjoy learning about them. Your images are very good Jill! I just got a few to share later of our first Gray Rat Snake of the season...stay safe~

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

The copperheads are so beautiful. I'd prefer a nice 300mm so I can keep my distance :-)

biobabbler said...

wow, that's TOO cool. That little flathead is SO CUTE! And that really wiggly looking one, I wonder if it's dehydrated? Anyhow, great shots. Such great diversity.

I think the snake in the last shot was, in a gentlemanly way, suppressing an urge to kiss you. Look into those eyes. It's LOVE. =)

'Course we're always happy to check out tarantula and scorpion pics as well... =)

Out on the prairie said...

can't say i would want to step on any of them, I was startled this week by a huge bull snake

KaHolly said...

Snakes are really cool, and you've had quite the fun in discovering them all. What a series of photos! The man across the street had a 3' snake in his bird house yesterday. Could see its tail sticking out the hole and couldn't figure out what it was, and upon investigation, found a snake too fat with bird in belly to retreat back out of the the hole!! Ah, sweet Texas!