Monday, May 14, 2012

Sometimes I take photos of birds

 Apparently I haven't put any bird photos up here in a while, what's that all about? Unacceptable! So to alleviate that issue, here's some Texas birds for you.  (Above) Hooded Oriole  (Icterus cucullatus) who sat still for about 5 minutes and a Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) sitting in perfect evening light. Thanks, guys.  (Below) Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens). If you look closely you can see he or she's got some grub in the mouth for nestlings in a nearby cavity. 


(Above) Pyrrhuloxia (Cardinalis sinuatus) imitating a T-rex or some sort of dinosaur. It was a really foggy 'meh' kinda day and the light was pretty ridiculously bad, but this pose is awesome. I always get excited to see them in the Hill Country since they aren't overly common around where I usually dwell.  They dig the scrubby desert scene (as do I) so it's kinda fun to see them every now and then.  (Below) Summer Tanager (Piranga ruba) striking a pose.  They've got a real pretty song and an even cooler call.

(Below) Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo Olivaceus) pulling the legs off an unfortunate grasshopper. I probably messed my neck up taking this photo, as he was directly above me and that'snot the most comfortable position with a heavy 500mm lens.  Ah well, made for a fun shot. Below him are a horde of Cliff Swallows (Petrochelidon pyrrhonta) just saying hey. World Bird Wednesday

23 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Wonderful photographs of birds we never see here although even as I am typing (out on the patio) the orioles are visiting the grape jelly. We have three, Mom and Pop and Junior.

Arija said...

A great cache of bird. Isn't it great to get some from an area one is not usually at? I spent a little time recently in the desert country (which I adore) hunting for fairy wrens, the tiniest of thornbills and mistletoe birds. It was really exciting.

Dominic Gendron said...

Wonderfull serie, very interesting images. This cardianl is so cool and different from the NOrthern one ;)

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I remember seeing my first Pyrrhuloxia while in Texas (Great Bend), talk about being excited! Then I had to teach myself how to pronounce its name. I've since forgotten. Guess another trip to Texas is needed.

Seagull Steve said...

You mean Summer Tanager, right?

That pyrrhulox pose is fucking righteous. I don't know what else to say about it.

Antonio Puigg said...

Bonitas imagenes de estas magnificas aves.Un saludo

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

Nice collection, the Summer Tanager is pretty cool.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh the Summer Tanager and the Flycatcher, really very wonderful birds, 2 of my favs~

Dina J said...

You've got a great variety there. Love that beak wide open!

biobabbler said...

heavenly!! If I would ever have what I thought was the most heart-stopping bird I continually adore (unattainable film idol), it's the hooded oriole. Every time I see one (not often) my heart rhythm freaks out, mouth drops open, and I just STARE, not breathing.

Probably good I don't see them often.

GREAT great shots of wonderful birds. NICE!

Gary said...

Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Karen said...

Love the dinosaur bird!

Fjällripan said...

Great series!! /Susanne

Al said...

I like your bird shots - the Summer Tanager caught my eye here.

Pat said...

Great series of bird shots!

Springman said...

The Hooded oreole is amazing! Great series Johnnynutcase, keep 'em coming!

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Nice to find you again -- and in such a wonderful place -- we loved the Texas Hill Country. Great birds -- I'd forgotten about the pyrrhuloxia and it was one of our favorites when we stayed there. I didn't even have a camera then. Tx for the great pictures and the happy memories.

mick said...

A great series of photos. The first one is especially beautiful.

NatureStop said...

Great series!Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Shantana

Hanne Bente said...

Great pictures you show.
Wishing you a good day.
Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

Stewart M said...

Nice pictures - have not visited for a while, so caught up on some posts.

Like the Peter Rabbit! My local pub used to be next door to the house in which a certain Miss Potter used to live!

Cheers - Stewart M – Australia

PS: do you really need the word verification thing – its a real pain!

Janie said...

Great bird photos, as always. The tanager is spectacular. Love the T-rex imitation.

Carole M. said...

some very special birds but that top one takes the cake!