Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Insects in your face

My current internetweb connection is pretty spotty so this'll be short and sweet like the last few. Here's some in-your-face photos of the abundant walking sticks, katydids and monster grasshoppers that fly into my face on a daily basis. I don't think I'll ever look at walking sticks the same after taking this photo.  The katydids (last photo) are kind of cute at first but not quite as cute when they sing. All day. All night. In your head, in your ears. I'm pretty sure they are trying to take over the world, or at least the Texas Hill Country. Really - they're so bad you can't even hear the birds sometimes over them. It's impressive really. I'm sure the grasshopper (middle) could probably consume your face in 3-4 bites if he wanted to, he's gargantuan. He's a monster. I actually love all these insects, fyi. But it would be cool if the katydids shut it once in a while.

11 comments:

Arija said...

Wow, great macros, almost as though you had taken them through a microscope. Ah yes, faces only a mother could love, or be eaten by . . .

Fernando Santos (Chana) said...

Excelentes fotografias....
Cumprimentos

Mary Howell Cromer said...

What amazing macros of these fun insects Jill! I lived in Texas once and I can vouch at least for the plentiful Grasshoppers, especially in the panhandle region~

biobabbler said...

wow, AMAZING shots. I think katydids are SO appealing. However, I've not been where they are so loud, so long. Unless I've mistaken their sounds for cicadas, to whom I attribute an amazing ability to make a HOT day feel hotter. Just add cicada soundtrack.

Awesome faces! =)

Karen ~ Briarside Lane said...

Quite in-your-face pics. :-o
I was almost afraid to look as bugs are kinda creepy to me. We've been hearing the katydids just recently, too. Twelfth day of 100ยบ+ so I stay inside. I'm ready for fall.

Laloofah said...

Wow, what amazing photos and what cool perspectives! I've never come so nose-to-probiscus close to such critters before (though I've been chomped by grasshoppers while hanging up laundry!)

Have you ever seen the film Microcosmos? Bet you'd love it!

Sorry to be amused at your expense, but I did have to laugh at your "but it would be cool if the katydids shut it once in awhile" line. :-)

Don't Bug Me! said...

Nice!

Barb said...

It's amazing what we never see in Nature - all those little faces looking at us!

Dominic Gendron said...

Pretty cool in my face images ;)

- Yvonaut -
Das sind Raphael und Yvonne
said...

Cool shots!
Amazing work!
Have a nice week!
Yvonne & Raphael

Larry said...

Awesome macros Jill! Love that grasshopper!