Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Snake Friends

Snakes. Don't be weird about it, they're awesome. I've seen quite a few species lately, but I don't usually have the good camera around.  The absolutely adorable Western Earth Snake was in some shallow water and came out for a pretty perfect photo op.  Look at the freaking water drop on his head! Lookit! I love that little guy.
I was really, really happy to be able to get a few shots of the Eastern Hognose (one of my favorite snakes). I picked him up, with the 500 mm in my hand, which didn't work out that well and he got kind of annoyed so I didn't snuggle with him too long. This is only the second I've seen. They're pretty sweet, they get all cobra-y when irritated. Which, yes, this one is doing. Oops.
The Western Diamondback is one I've seen a couple times. He (she?) lives in that old abandoned house I wrote about a few posts back. Pretty approachable little guy or gal.

15 comments:

JK said...

Great snake pictures. That Eastern Hog is not very happy, but the Western Earth snake is adorable. I really like the water droplet on its head. What kind of habitat was the hognose in?

Barb said...

I'm glad you can identify them. I like your photos but would prefer to keep my distance. There are no snakes at high altitude but when hiking in the desert I'm definitely aware.

Al said...

I'm not afraid of snakes, but I'll stay away from any Diamondbacks. Great photos!

ChrisJ said...

I love that earth snake . He has a very expressive face.

biobabbler said...

Oh, SO exquisitely sweet and adorable. And, yes, the water droplet is the capper. =)

I think rattlesnakes are gorgeous. How big was that one? I've found that within the species I've dealt with, the larger and older (and paler, usually), the more mellow. They've learned that not everything is going to try to kill them (v. readily terrified babies), so can be pretty darned mellow. 'Course it helps if it's morning and cool. =)

Thanks SO much for the snakey shots!!! Woo-hoo!

Elizabeth said...

The Eastern Hognose has a beautiful texture. I love your snake posts.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

OK... I have to admit it, that little water snake really is a cutie, and that drop of water really shows it to be even more cute... There, I said a snake was cute and I meant every word~

Merri said...

I came across a gopher snake the other day and watched him dig a hole!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Snap said...

Lovely snake friends of yours!

TexWisGirl said...

nice shots of these guys!

Janie said...

I used to be scared of snakes, but then I married a snake lover and raised 2 boys. Now I find them fascinating. Great photos of these handsome guys.

Tricia Hays said...

You really got some great shots! WoW! =)

chubskulit said...

I am so scared of snakes!

My Critter post. Have a great weekend.

Pia said...

Wow your snakes and that old abandoned house...amazing photos.

Delbensonphotography said...

Great shots! I am interested to take photos of snakes too but I will never touch them, I am afraid. I love their texture. I would love to take photos of a mother snake and her babies.