Saturday, December 1, 2012

Gila Mountains Day II

First off, I just read this mind-numbingly depressing article about some GOP backed bill that would basically rape all Wilderness Areas (including the Gila). This is disgusting and an absolute downer. Keep an eye out for petitions, etc because this...cannot...pass.
Anyway, on that debbie downer note, day 2 in the Gilas...Good stuff. Water was an issue again today and we ended up filtering out of some really sketchy mud puddle with a bunch of mosquitos around but eh, whatever, we lived to tell about it. Saw the first sign of bears - fresh scratches on a tree and some scat.
Ended up finding a pretty perfect spot for the tent in the afternoon, next to a slow-flowing creek (a relief!)  We had a few hours of light left so we wandered around and found a 5-6 foot deep tiny swimming hole and walked up the creek for a while. Further up the canyon, it looked like it would probably be a good place for cliff dwellings if we had more time and light, hmm...next time, eh?
I almost stepped on a little snake (ID pending...), had a frog friend in the swimming spot and the best find was the world's tiniest horned lizard, though I'm not sure of which species. I was kind of mesmerized by the little guy. Set up a nice fire and ate some pork and beans (ew, just kidding), had some hot toddies and called it a night. See it Sunday Our World Tuesday Tuesday Around the World Outdoor Wednesday Nature Notes

25 comments:

Audrey said...

joli coin de nature mm si je ne suis pas fan des serpents ;o)

Freya Renders said...

Beautiful photos, looks like you had a great hike

Steve Borichevsky said...

Yah, I'm done with having a republican bent.

Sylvia K said...

Great shots and I'm sure I can avoid using too many bad words in regards to the "ah" republicans!!

Gary said...

Let me know I'll sign it as a foreigner. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Fun60 said...

Some great shots of the wild life. Hats off to you for spotting such a tiny frog.

Island Rambles Blog said...

very interesting and beautiful, lovely shots. cheers. looks like a fun walk.

Martha Z said...

That looks like a great backpack.

Robert Geiss said...

What an adventure. Thank you for sharing. Please have a good Tuesday.

daily athens photo

Black Jack's Carol said...

It is so important to protect what we have left of wilderness, wherever we are in the world. I do love your frog and your snake and all of the shots are outstanding. I haven't checked out your profile but your "Ew" response to pork and beans made me smile. Are you vegetarian or vegan?

Samson said...

beautiful photographs Jill

Bryan Hughes said...

Great photos. The snake is a Western Terrestrial Gartersnake, Thamnophis elegans.

Bryan Hughes said...

I should also add that the lizard is a Greater Short-Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma hernandesii) and the frog is a Canyon Treefrog (Hyla arenicolor).

Shirley said...

Wonderful photos of a beautiful place. Yes, I can't stand it when they talk about taking ANY wilderness away!!!

LV said...

I enjoyed all your outdoor adventure except for the snake.

Kalantikan said...

Wow, that was great. It is my first visit here, thanks for joining in the meme i saw your site. I guess that kind of backpacking is so exciting, if i were with you i will be so happy photoshooting critters and flowers too!

Barbara F. said...

Great photos, I would have screamed bloody murder if I almost stepped on that snake! Visiting from Outdoor Wednesday. xo

Valerie said...

Clearly an adventurous outing - I'm with Barbara re the snake! Great shots - thanks for sharing.

Joyful said...

Beautiful nature photos.

Carol L McKenna said...

Wonderful photography ~ love the little toad ~ (A Creative Harbor) ~ artmusedog and Carol ^_^

Karen said...

What a magical place.

Rambling Woods said...

Love that little guy..I am kind of a frog nut and have tried to bring attention to the plight of frogs and other amphibians on my blog. Heck, our house has a 'Save The Frogs' flag on it.. Yes we confirmed what our neighbors always thought of us..I get depressed at every news program and do what I can besides ranting.. however ranting does feel good...Michelle

Pat said...

Lovely photos.

jewaicious said...

Lovely shots, great contrasts and textures.

Laloofah said...

Merry Christmas, Jill! This post brought back fond memories of a camping trip in Gila with friends a hundred or so years ago (around 1986 or so). Loved the cliff dwellings, found a wonderful natural hot spring beside a river, got chased by a scary cloud of mosquitoes... don't remember seeing any other critters, though, so I enjoyed seeing the photos of yours (such a wee frog!)
The GOP makes me ill, and that article is deeply disturbing. Don't understand what the so-called conservatives are conserving with their "kill it or drill it" mind set, except for their own money and power. How do they sleep at night? It's unconscionable (and such a stark contrast to the happy news out of Costa Rica!) I'll keep my eyes peeled for petitions, etc, I get scads of those alerts daily. Thanks for bringing this latest travesty to our attention.