Sunday, December 16, 2012

Killdeer bath

Took a quick trip over to the coast to play and camp and take some photos yesterday. Checked out Sea Rim State Park and McFaddin National Wildlife Refuge, both on the northern Texas Coast. I had spent some time at McFaddin before, but not the state park. Only bad thing was driving through Port Arthur. Please. Don't ever do that. I've lived in Corpus Christie and been around Houston many times and thought those refineries were bad. Port Arthur is on a whole other level. But I don't really want to talk about gross stuff. Sea Rim was cool because it wasn't your typical state park- really no thrills and there hadn't been much attempt to fix anything up since it got annihilated by (hurricane) Ike in 2008. Other than some fences to encourage dunes to form, there wasn't much being done. Which I appreciate since well, coastal development is a bit ridiculous to begin with (whole other story...)WeekendReflections, Wild Bird Wednesday
So! Saw some good birds - 5 plover species in a matter of minutes - awesome! (Piping, Semipalmated, Snowy, Golden, and Killdeer). Got some decent photos and the weather was perfect for beach camping.
Killdeer are all over the place here (and there) but I don't remember ever seeing one actually in the water and bird baths are always freaking cute. I also saw some piping plovers bathing but they were too far away for decent photos. Enjoy the killdeer bath...

19 comments:

Laloofah said...

Oh no, you're such a paparazzi! Taking photos of someone trying to have a little privacy while bathing. :-) Sweet, sweet photos! I love these little guys - and swear I see them running around here, of all places, in the summer months! (I must get a good ID next time I see one - or at least get a good photo to share with you, since you would no doubt be able to identify the wee creatures at a glance).

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Geez I was planning on going through Port Arthur on our next road trip just to see the home Janis Joplin grew up in. Now I'll be prepared for pure nastiness.

Pam :) said...

Awesome captures, Jill. I haven't seen them bathing before.

Janie said...

We see kildeer in the pasture. I never would have thought of them as water birds! Fun to see them splashing.
I've been through Port Arthur a time or two. You're right, it's a place to be avoided.

Gary said...

Gee, I've never seen one in the water like that either. Great sequence. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Ken Schneider said...

Wow, a 5 plover day! Quite an accomplishment despite the environmental decay. I'm trying to think, but I guess I have never seen more than 3 at once.

mick said...

Cute photos of the birds taking a bath. I agree - leave the coast alone and don't try to develop it!

i stora drag said...

Very nice photos of this bird I don't think I ever seen! But it was quite sweet!

Thanks for your comment the other day! Now we have not so much Winter any more, 0 degrees and some rain have taken much of the snow away!
Greetings Pia

Andrew said...

Your Kildeer is a lovely bird... similar the the Ringed Plovers I see over here.

Stewart M said...

Great pictures - thats a bird I'd like to see.

I wonder how much effort goes into "repairing" damage done by hurricanes and such like, when time would do the job just as well.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

Larry said...

Nice shots of the Killdeer bathing Jill. I always love seeing their little Killfawns in the summer!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

These are really wonderful Jill. As often as I have seen Killdeer over the years, I never ecall seeing one taking a bath...;')~

'Tsuki said...

That is such a lovely bird ! Nice catch on that bath !!!

Sylvia K said...

I love the Killdeer, Jill, and your captures are superb as always! Hope you have a great holiday weekend and a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Lucy Corrander - M2 Photos said...

I'm not familiar with this birds - their feathers give them an extraordinary facial expression.
Have a very happy Christmas!
Lucy

HansHB said...

Nice post for the theme!
Merry X-mas to you!

Audrey said...

se qu il est beau !

B. Rogers, Alchemy of Clay said...

These are beautiful shots...and I agree about refineries. Maybe when we run out of oil the air will be breathable again.

Dominic Gendron said...

Great serie! It's always a great idea to stop by your blog to see your images! I wish you a happy new year!