Tuesday, December 11, 2012

They're everywhere!

I've been overstimulated with the yard birds lately. We actually got some gnarly rain recently and there have been some good warbler and sparrow flocks who have been pretty pumped about it. Some kind of  bug is laying eggs on fenceposts right now and I've noticed the warblers are chowing down on the eggs all day long. All these guys in the photos were in the live oak outside the kitchen window yesterday. I was hunched over the kitchen sink for a couple hours craning my neck out the window to get these pictures. (Top: Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler. Below: American Goldfinch) 
There were 4 warbler species (yellow-rumped, pine, orange-crowned, and nashville), tons of chipping sparrows, some field sparrows, bluebirds, downy woodpeckers, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, that red-bellied woodpecker who usually just laughs in my face when I try to get a picture, savannah sparrows, house finches, killdeer, goldfinches, kinglets, white-throated and lincoln's sparrows, chickadees, titmice, and you know, the list goes on.  Oh! And american pipits too! (Below: Chipping Sparrow) Nature Notes,  Wild Bird Wednesday
I was practically having a panic attack trying to get photos. (That may be a bit dramatic). I haven't been taking a ton of great bird ones lately and it was starting to frustrate me.  The Pine Warblers were making me a little on edge because they kept landing right in front of my face but either they were too close for a photo or my flash battery wasn't quite ready. I finally snagged an okay one of a male eating..a freaking sunflower seed? Which confuses me, quite a bit confuses me.  (they don't eat seeds...)
(Above: Red-bellied Woodpecker, Below: Orange-crowned Warbler) Anyway, birds, tons of them, cool ones, everywhere yesterday and the day before. Most of the house is surrounded by horse pastures and they flood a little bit when it rains so I lookrd outside afterwards and the ground was just dancing with sparrows, bluebirds, and warblers. It's kind of sweet. Ah! There was also a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers last week for a few days but I haven't seen then since then, fingers crossed they'll come back! There's a lot of good snags waiting for them. 

16 comments:

mick said...

What a great experience to have so many birds so close to you. My yard birds pretty much stay the same all year round. You got some great photos.

Dina J said...

So many great shots of those little guys. Love that goldfinch up close. Beautiful!

Pat said...

What a great series of lovely little birds!

i stora drag said...

So many cute little friends you have in your garden! And excellent photos!
Greetings Pia

Pam :) said...

I love the soft glow and subtle colors. Beautiful shots Jill, Well done!

Arija said...

Jill, your photo of the chipping sparrow is like a wonderful watercolour. What a great range of birds you have! I haven't managed a decent bird shot in months so had to post the geese from last year.

Thanks for the Chrysanthemum tip.I love the smell of them, so the tea would be right up my alley. No problem with dry eyes but do you also have a tea for dry mouth??

Carole M. said...

woodpecker/warblers too; fabulous snapshots

Stewart M said...

Nice set of pictures! "Flash Re-charhe anxiety syndrome" is well known!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

PS: feel free to link these posts to WBW!

Gary said...

Great series Jill. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Laloofah said...

A happy yard is definitely a yard full of songbirds! You appear to have won the avian lottery. :-)

I think the Pine Warblers got together and decided to mess with your head. The one who came up with the creative and daring idea to eat a sunflower seed in front of you wins the prize!

I really love the little guy perched on the thorny branch - that took some landing accuracy!

Hanne Bente said...

Nice pictures you show some cute birds.
Hanne Bente - www.hbt.finus.dk

EG CameraGirl said...

How nice to have so many birds so close by!

Ken Schneider said...

The Pine Warbler is one of my favorites. Its beauty is understated, and its feeding habits are interesting to watch.

Wally Jones said...

I'm really jealous of the terrific variety you have so close to you! Great shots. Love that Pine Warbler.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow Jill...great variety and wonderful photos. I NEED to get out and take some photos..thanks for reminding me and thank you for your good wishes ,,,I appreciate it.. Michelle

Dominic Gendron said...

Great serie, love the first one cause of the composition :-) Always fun to stop by here to see your images ;)