Sunday, January 13, 2013

And now for something fairly gross.

I've been meaning to post these pictures for...months. I don't generally get too grossed out by insects or the weird stuff they do, but I'm still haunted by whatever is happening in these photos. I wish I could offer some insight or educational information, but I can't. Anyone? I assume it's in the early early stages of starting the chrysalis? Why is there a bubble coming out of it's head (butt?) and why is it removing it's 'face?' I have so many questions. Side note: it's gross, but awesome at the same time! Nature Notes Macro Monday Our World Tuesday

This just in, thanks to Anna Malcom for the information! It's an 8-spotted Forester and it's in the process of molting. The stages in between molting are called instars, and it's head popping off is part of this. Crazy stuff! The beautiful ooze in the first photo could be something to ward off predators. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks again, Anna!

20 comments:

Barb said...

Yikes - you tell me! I hope I don't have nightmares.

Anna Malcom said...

Hey, great photos as always! First the caterpillar's a 8-spotted forester. Im not sure about the green ooze, but I've seen grasshoppers do a similar thing to freak preditiors out. The head popping off is the caterpillar molting. Caterpillars grow by molting the stages are called instars. I can't believe you got a photo of its head popping off.

Victoria said...

brilliant macros..stunning colors!
Victoria

bettyl said...

Great shots that gave me the willies!

Jama said...

It may not look pretty but it's a beautiful macro!

~~~jennifer~~~ said...

These pics are too pretty to be gross. I bet it was grosser in person.

Nicola Carpenter said...

Wow, what an ugly bugly!

Herding Cats

namaki said...

these macro pictures are PERFECT ! In the first one, which is amazing, it looks like the caterpillar is blowing a bubble-gum !

Pat said...

Amazingly too much detail! :)

HoodPhoto said...

Wow, gorgeous macros! Great details!

Gary said...

Wow what a unique post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific shots and I'm quite satisfied to see this one on my computer screen and no closer, thank you very much!! Great post for the day, Jill!!

Carol L McKenna said...

Great shots of nature's mystery treasures ~ Wow!

(A Creative Harbor)

Karen said...

Fascinating! Great shots!

ladyfi said...

Awesome shots!

Indrani Ghose said...

Great find, great captures.

Arija said...

Such great photos Jill! You always manage to bring us such interesting stuff.

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

Wow ... you got a photo of its face popping off! Amazing capture!!

I love these photos. Beautiful on the black background, and they're lovely and sharp. I love insect photography anyway, because they're so fascinating and often beautiful up close, but I've never captured a caterpillar shooting its face off!

Gunilla Bäck said...

Awesome shots!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh what a great catch Jill...I don't know how you do it.Amazing..perfect for Nature Notes.. Thank you.. Michelle