Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gila Mountains Day III

This is ridiculous. Ridiculous that I'm taking my sweet, sweet time with the Gila Mountain posts. I guess really though, in the end, what's the hurry, right? Sure. So I did have a journal sort of thing for this trip but it's MIA because I've been throwing things together for the field season and it got relocated. Maybe it's hanging out with my missing sunglasses, earrings, hats, etc. Our World Skywatch
I'll have to wing it.  I know we almost stepped on a rattlesnake right after getting back on the trail this morning. I actually prefer to start my mornings that way, it's more exciting. Pretty eventful day actually. At some point the trail just ceased to exist, which ya know, when you're out in the middle of nowhere is sort of a red flag. The trails aren't maintained in the wilderness area to begin with and we had to really squint (or something) to follow them at times up to this point. But it really just totally ended. Poof-be-gone.  We had a topo and a compass so we decided to go for it and wandered around to try to find where the trail was supposed to meet up with the next one. This didn't really work. We had the right idea though. We hit the open meadow area (where the trail was on the topo) right when a freaking monster storm was coming in. I've had severe (ahem, and legitimate) paranoia about lightening ever since the incident so maybe-just-maybe I had a temper tantrum about being totally exposed to the bolts.
So anyway, after our efforts proved futile, we found our way back to where the trail ended, which was a good 3 miles away at that point (so we added a handful extra miles on that day. ..I think we ended up doing around 15 or so?) We were planning on a really short day..huh.
After we found the trail and breathed some relief, we were forced to backtrack a bit.  We hiked until dusk and finally found another completely sketchy puddle of 'water' to filter. No weird side effects though, so no complaints. While we were filtering and chugging water, there were some Red Crossbills (4 I think) waiting for us to leave so they could sip it up too. That was fun. Don't see Crossbills a whole lot in my world. Found another kickass spot for the tent, even though it was getting pretty dark. Made a fire and listened to wolves! That's right, WOLVES!  Thumbs up.

23 comments:

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Whoosh Jill, you all really live on the edge don't ya? Sounds a little wild and crazy, but it also looks amazing. Glad you were safe enough in the end to make this presentation...whew be careful out there~

Arija said...

How glorious to spend a night with wolves, even if you had to add the extra miles. you look so happy at your campfire. Warmth, rest and food are welcome companions after a day's strenuous hike.
Good for you. Wish I were young and fit enough to still indulge in such activities.

Marie said...

This was VERY interesting, Jill. Have never visited your blog before. We used to hike when we were younger. Don't do much anymore. By the way, my grandfather was killed by lightning well before I was born, and I have always been terrified of it!

Martha Z said...

You do live an adventuresome life, Jill

Jim said...

The great outdoors are great. :)

mick said...

Great photos and wonderful scenery and plants and flowers. I went back and read about our night with the lightning storm. Wow! Really scarey stuff!!

Gary said...

Beautiful scenery!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Andrew said...

A wonderful post... many thanks for sharing it.

Fun60 said...

Sounds quite an adventurous hike that you're doing. All a bit too scary for me!

Robert Geiss said...

What wonderful environment you live in. Please have a great time.

robert geiß

Sylvia K said...

An adventurous life indeed!! I think it's terrific! Love your captures for the day!!

Karen said...

I enjoyed your hike!

Indrani said...

What a lovely place to go o a trek! I haven't hiked for long.

ladyfi said...

What a beautiful places to hike - in spite of the rattlesnakes.

Dana said...

I feel like I was there with you! Wonderful shots! My favorite is the first one. I like the way you composed it.

Happy Tuesday! ☺

RamblingRound said...

You really know how to get away from it all! Great post.

McGuffy Ann said...

This is an amazing post. Than you for sharing it here!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Wonderful adventure. Blessings, Debbie

Laura said...

courageous and magical Jill!

TheChieftess said...

Sweet photo of the flowers!!! And it looks like an adventurous time!!!

Randi said...

Beautiful shots of your wild life! I love this scenery...and the wolves of cause!!!

HansHB said...

Great serie of photos, - lovely sky!

vincibene said...

Great series!