Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sing Sang Sung

Pine Warblers. Pine Warblers!  I've gotten quite attached to these birds this winter. There are a few regular visitors to the suet feeders and this makes me happy. I've seen them chow on the seed a few times- apparently they are the only wood warblers that do that.  The males started singing in January but I'm pretty sure they recently booked it north to their breeding grounds because I  haven't seen or heard a whole lot of P-warblin' lately. That was dorky, wow. (Look how they match the lichen on the tree- that's adorable)
Also. Just had some sandhill cranes fly over the house (yard bird 63, not that I'm counting). Leaving soon to go chase the golden-cheeked warblers and black-capped vireos. So happy it's the field season, so happy! You don't even understand!

5 comments:

Seagull Steve said...

Fracking sweet pictures. I have seen quite a few Pine Warblers but probably none this well, let alone photograph them adequately.

Elizabeth said...

The best portent of the coming spring. Sing it!

Julie Hargreaves said...

Beautiful photos

ladyfi said...

Lovely shots - so vivid, like a feathered sun!

Janie said...

The pine warblers are so pretty, and it's amazing how they match the tree branches.
I've been hearing sandhill cranes flying over, too. Spring has sprung!