Thursday, October 17, 2013

Housemates

 Black Widows! Everywhere! Well, not right now but in this post, I mentioned they were surrounding my trailer this spring and summer. Here's the only one I took photos of before I released her in her new home.  She's a looker, eh? Really! She's beautiful! They all were but this one's markings were a little something extra. All but the one on my yoga mat were calm and collected, so they were easy to relocate far far away from my humble abode. 
Yes, the one on my yoga mat, while I was doing yoga. Happily engaged in plank position, I notice a huge lady only a couple centimeters from my pinkie, on my mat. I grabbed a stick and encouraged her on it, but she went wild and crazy. A wild and crazy rogue! All the rest would casually meander into my black widow container, but this woman was not in a good mood. I only could get her a few feet away before she was about to crawl on my arm, so I'm pretty sure she came right back to the area. Yeah, stupidly I was keeping my yoga mat curled up outside. Turns out it was the ideal home for a black widow. I also was keeping my pull-up bar outside, and one of them decorated that nicely with her web also, choosing to spend her days and nights hunkered down in one of the little holes on the  bar. Swell! It was swell!
By the time I left for the season, there were something like 17-19 black widows, all females except for 2 males. Lots of egg sacs. Comforting, huh? Actually, after the first 7-8 spiders, I sort of got used to them, even knowing there were egg sacs I couldn't find, probably directly under my windows, which I always kept open.
Now we're back in the house, not a trailer, and more black widows but the scorpions! Ah hah! The scorpions (and geckos) are all over the place. I'm sure I'll get stung one of these days. While I was putting one back outside recently, I counted 11 others lingering in the driveway. Ha!

7 comments:

Arija said...

What a kindly post! Just make sure you check your shoes before stepping into them, not nice at all when they pinch your toes while you are still bleary eyed.
We have lots of red-backs here which I don't really like inside the house but I certainly like a huntsman in every room, they are so helpful.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I have never seen a black widow with markings like that. Come on now you're the biologist, what's the story behind that? Love those scorpions...as long as I know where they are.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh My, I have a draft which I will post next weekend with a Black Widow too. They are gorgeous...yes and the one that you featured above is really stunning...bad girls, but beautiful!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wow, unwanted house guests! Agree with John, I've never seen black widows like these. I'm used to seeing solid black backs with the red hourglass on the underside.

TheChieftess said...

Wow!!! She's a beauty!!! But I'd step on her in a minute!!! And scorpions??? Shudder!!! I found a small scorpion in my hallway here in the mountains the first year in our house!!! Yuck!!! Got it into the flushing water real fast!!!

JK said...

Great scorpion shot. Any idea on the species?

Janie said...

Black widows are beautiful spiders, but I hate it when they decide to make my home their home.
I've never had a scorpion housemate, and I'm not pining for one, although I do think all critters are beautiful on their own turf.