Sunday, February 16, 2014

Return of the Yardbirds

Lots of you probably know the Backyard Bird Count is happening right now. It's sort of a cool concept. If you're unfamiliar with it, check out this link for more info. (Above: badass cedar waxwing and ping pong ball ruby-crowned kinglet)
My best yardbird is still the harris's sparrow (not a very common bird). There have been at least five of them hanging around for a couple months but it's hard to get great looks at them. They are super flushy little guys! They seem to be buddies with the dark-eyed junco flock.  I hadn't seen a Harris's until last year (also in the yard). Pretty sweet that we've got the habitat that they want!  I managed to get a couple crappy photos, but nothing to write home about. Today however, one was actually spending quality time on some outside branches, chipping like a maniac. It was a little better photo op than usual. (Above: the elusive harris's sparrow)

I've been missing the ruby-crowned kinglet who was coming to the suet all the time. Damn those guys are feisty! I think maybe he booked it to his breeding spot already (I hope). Had a pretty big flock of red-winged blackbirds today in the yard. Birds, they're cool. (Above: double-chin, no chin? pine warbler; below: red-winged blackbirds) Nature Notes

10 comments:

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh the Cedar Waxwing such a beauty and I am so missing them here. Please send them back home soon please and thank you. These are all wonderful image shares Jill!

Seagull Steve said...

Stop with all the PIWA crushes already. I don't know what its like to do that. Sick HASP. Also, check FB.

Johnny Nutcase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carver said...

Great shots of the birds. Every year I mean to participate in the count and forget.

bettyl-NZ said...

These are gorgeous little friends of yours! They have such lovely colors and markings.

Fotoclipping Outsource said...

From beginning to end....the portraits are just mind blowing and perfectly executed :)

maryaustria said...

Gorgeous shots! I love the first one, looks like the bird is wearing sunglasses :)

Karen said...

Oh, lovely captures! The waxwing is fabulous, the "ping pong" kinglet is darling! I am busy with the backyard bird count too.

Rambling Woods said...

Awwww...love the yard birds....Nice that you can get outside without snow gear... Thank you for linking into Nature Notes Jill....Michelle

Carole M. said...

I love 'yellow' birds so your second-last is my fave'