Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Frank Church Wants Me Dead

Hello there, my blog friends. Hello. I've got the old, goofy  internets at this field site (which is totally weird), but I am completely mentally and physically wiped out right now, so this will be brief. It's been a brutal week. Had a long stretch of days off and went backpacking in Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness (central Idaho) for 6 days. Hardest backpacking trip (mentally and physically, holy sheeeet) I've ever done and I'm still recovering. Unfortunately, after this 60 mile hike (about 30 of which were bushwhacking - more on this later), I was slapped in the face. Real hard. A freaking all out jaw breaker, really.   A healthy, live tree had completely crushed my beloved Vladimir (my car), that was parked at the trailhead.
This blows, guys. It would suck fiercely either way, but I have literally been living out of my car since April. Got a backpacking tent and a tent for work, but no home. Vladimir was it. I can't afford a new (old) car at this point and the field season is just about over so I'm just maybe, just maybe, having a few minor panic attacks about some stuff. More on the backpacking trip later (gnarly stuff, really). I set up this website
http://funds.gofundme.com/index.php?route=fundmanager&url=b4l8xs in case anyone is feeling generous. I've already got some people I want/need to squeeze with serious hugs. Man, inherently good people just crush me emotionally - in a good way. Thanks, guys! Seriously, you all freaking rock more than you'll ever know. And thank you to Mark at the FS for everything. I would have still been stranded and depressed outside of Stanley, Idaho if if weren't for you! (Last photos: Hayduke and Gafunkel loved Vladimir too.We went on lots of cross country road trips together.  Last photo is from a couple months ago, in the good old days. South Ruby Mountains, Nevada)

9 comments:

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

So very glad you weren't in your car at the time.

Quite frightened for you about your circumstances. I'm not in a position to help financially but was going to Tweet your post to spread the word in the hope that drawing this to wider attention might help - but you have no social media buttons. I'll put a link on Twitter manually but perhaps it would be a good idea to put the buttons there to make it easier to spread the 'news'?

Best wishes. I really do hope you get sorted soon.

elvira pajarola said...

Soooo terribly sorry for Vladimir & the terrible incident & all the troubles around it, Jill, but sooo fortunately you weren't inside the car when it happened :)

All my warmest wishes & a lot of strenght & luck for a quick recover. I know you will do it :)

ciaociao
elvira

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

My first thought when I glimpse that photo was you wrecked your car. Having a tree fall on it I was relieved you were not in it at the time. I have a friend who was driving through Yellowstone when a tree fell on him and his truck. He survived but is geeked up forever. The NPS settled out of court with him. It could have been worse so count your blessings. Good will come out of this and you will look back upon it and understand why sheet happens. Keep us posted on your recovery.

KaHolly said...

Holy cow!! Good luck.

Zachary Loman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

I'm posting a link to this post on my blog on Monday. I'll be donating something more substantial than my good wishes as well!

Pam said...

Hey, Jill, I want to fund you but the link sends me to set up my own account and doesn't get me to you. Help? Send me an email!

Mary Cromer said...

Jill, I am so very sorry to hear of your woes, my goodness that live tree coming down like that and of all things atop your home away from home Vladimir. Thankfully you were not in said car, and you are safe. Keep your chin up~

Janie said...

That is some seriously bad luck. However, when I first saw the post, I thought of a car accident with you in the car. So, a falling tree is much better, from that standpoint.