Sunday, December 7, 2014

Grand Gulch Primitive Area

Oh. Well I thought I had already blogged it up about this backpacking trip to Grand Gulch Primitive Area in Southern Utah, but apparently, nope. So here you go, just a few months later. Canyonlands (one of my favorite places ever) was the top choice, but it was time to try something a little different. Grand Gulch was pretty badass, I was glad to switch it up.
Ruins! RUINS! Everywhere. Really, everywhere. And this is one of the places you are able to actually climb up there and check those bad boys out. Pretty cool, guys. Grand Gulch is a series of canyons and mesas and good stuff like that. In addition to tons of ruins (Ancestral Puebloan- 700-2,000 years ago), there are tons of petroglyphs and rock art wherever you look. (If you're observant, that is). Overwhelming, honestly. Our mileage wasn't too high because there was so much to check out and so many places to explore. Not a bad thing.
There were a ridiculous amount of side canyons to explore and even with 5 days there, it didn't cut it. It's great that it's legal and even encouraged to check out the ruins at Grand Gulch, and considering that fact, they are in pretty decent shape- but still, there are those assholes who feel the need to take artifacts, pottery, etc. Vandalism isn't cool, guys. I've got quite a few more photos so rest your pretty head on this for right now, yup? Oh yeah - in case I forget-cryptobiotic crust! It's everywhere in Southern Utah. Pay respect and don't crunch it - it's full of communities of itty bitty living organisms! Ecologically very important!  (seen below near the cactus)

5 comments:

Mary Cromer said...

What a great place to explore and photograph...it looks like you enjoyed it very much!

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Canyonlands too is one of my favorites places to visit. I like the free roaming aspect you mentioned. I'm making a note of Grand Gulch. I best go before it is too late and all chain-linked off.

Laloofah said...

What a fun post and what a beautiful, magical place! I can see why it captivated you so. (Glad most people are being respectful of the ruins, but there always has to be the selfish turd who didn't get the memo). Closest thing I've ever come to visiting such a place was New Mexico's Gila Cliff Dwellings nearly 30 years ago and I loved it. And since our future plans include exploring much of Utah (vegan-friendly SLC, Arches, Zion, Bryce, Best Friends in Kanab, etc), you can bet that Grand Gulch Primitive Area is now topping that list! We promise not to crunch or otherwise disturb the cryptobiotic crust (thanks for the education and heads up!) :-)

Pam said...

Got my education on the crypto back when we visited Arches...but so many visitors to southern Utah who don't speak and presumably read English. I'm betting they aren't getting the memo, hopefully most of them aren't going off trail.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

I'm glad you posted this... I love this country!!! this area is on my bucket list.
- The Equestrian Vagabond